PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of Speech

fschmidt
03-26-2019, 03:52 PM
What should be allowed? Holocaust denial? Cartoons ridiculing Muhammad? Public personal insults? Give your opinion.

I have plenty to say on this subject, but I will start with this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRdlNTbe0k

Climate Hoax
03-26-2019, 04:03 PM
Let it all be said. Let's air it. Funny you bring up Cartoons, they can say a thousand words in one image.

scott
03-26-2019, 04:15 PM
This is the topic. I'm going to back this one. The whole reason for this forum is censorship.
Let this thread run and lets give everyone a go.
Haters won't be bumped, but ridiculed.

fschmidt
03-26-2019, 04:16 PM
Let it all be said. Let's air it. Funny you bring up Cartoons, they can say a thousand words in one image.
Should one be a allowed to shout "fire" in a crowded theater (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shouting_fire_in_a_crowded_theater)?

Climate Hoax
03-26-2019, 05:06 PM
any chance of starting with something less complex ? I see the point , but there is no answer. It's like debating abortion

Climate Hoax
03-26-2019, 05:09 PM
Holocaust denial?
I'd say they should have a say. The pile on would be huge. This is the perfect reason for free speech,.

fschmidt
03-26-2019, 06:09 PM
any chance of starting with something less complex ? I see the point , but there is no answer. It's like debating abortion
No, for meaningful discussion we have to answer each other's questions. My point is that there are limits to speech. Another example would be perjury in court. Do you think that should be permitted?

Climate Hoax
03-26-2019, 10:40 PM
No, for meaningful discussion we have to answer each other's questions. My point is that there are limits to speech. Another example would be perjury in court. Do you think that should be permitted?

well yeah, it'd be helpful if we were interested in the same topics. But on this subject I don't care much for the Judiciary. Old poofs in Wigs that let people off.

To be serious about the subject, the way courts behave depends on how seriously they should be treated. Did you follow any of the Cardinal Pell case ?

Climate Hoax
03-26-2019, 10:52 PM
anyway, to keep the story short ... Derryn Hinch
Now this guy was thrown in Prison for contempt. He named a Pedo in the media before the judgement came down.
Fair comment I guess.

However this Cardinal Pell, he was maligned and was called a Pedo way before he was convicted and there was even a book written about him.
Nobody was sent to the clink for that. Popular culture said as he's catholic { not in fashion } was guilty by popular opinion.

Is there a point where the court should be held in contempt by the public when it's a joke trial ?

That I believe was in the Peoples Republic of Victoria.

I'd agree when a court / Judge / Magistrate behaves they should be respected. What about if they don't ??

fschmidt
03-27-2019, 01:14 AM
This is a theoretical discussion about what the ideal laws on free speech should be. This discussion has no practical value, but I am willing to participate for entertainment. Politics doesn't interest me because basically I consider most of humanity to be vermin in need of extermination.

So I never heard of Cardinal Pell and I generally don't follow the news. I don't care about courts being corrupt since I only expect the worst from modern scum anyway. Now let's get back on topic. What exactly are the ideal limits of speech? I asked 2 questions, please answer them. And feel free to ask me questions that are on-topic.

D'Artagnan
03-27-2019, 08:29 PM
Politics doesn't interest me because basically I consider most of humanity to be vermin in need of extermination.

and the 2019 award for Spreading Hope and Joy goes to >>>>

D'Artagnan
03-27-2019, 09:02 PM
That's a short video taken of Peter Hitchens is a cracker. With some nice wit he demonstrates what annoys many of us with modern thought group think.

Different note; I like that thought about: "is it ok the have a cartoon about Muhammad?". I'd say yeah go for it based on the goose and gander theory. Makes me wonder when the western world will have organized lynch mobs to shut down even more debate, just a Islam can call a fatwa or the Australian aborigines I think it was "to point the bone",
although the latter is more of curse than a call to action.
The day will come soon when we all dress in grey and keep our heads down and we're not allowed to say anything at all.
A a self described chatterbox, I might one of the first to be murdered under the new outrage industry.
Can someone bring an "up yours" sign to my funeral and pop in on top of the casket. :)

Life is like watching TV, you do have the power to change the channel. That would stop you from complaining and annoying the rest of us.
Nobody likes a whiner.

fschmidt
03-28-2019, 02:41 PM
Different note; I like that thought about: "is it ok the have a cartoon about Muhammad?". I'd say yeah go for it based on the goose and gander theory. Makes me wonder when the western world will have organized lynch mobs to shut down even more debate, just a Islam can call a fatwa or the Australian aborigines I think it was "to point the bone",
although the latter is more of curse than a call to action.
A fatwa isn't a call to action either, it is just an opinion. I wrote my views here:

http://www.mikraite.org/Freedom-of-Speech-tp1915.html

In my view, cartoons ridiculing Muhammad are no different from cartoons ridiculing a private individual, and this shouldn't be permitted for broad public distribution. Only living public figures should be allowed to be ridiculed because they have a platform to respond.

Life is like watching TV, you do have the power to change the channel. That would stop you from complaining and annoying the rest of us.
Nobody likes a whiner.
So then you would have no problem being defamed on a popular channel and then having everyone hate you as a result?

D'Artagnan
03-28-2019, 08:28 PM
So then you would have no problem being defamed on a popular channel and then having everyone hate you as a result?

I'm at work and hard to chat much.

Of course I'd prefer if it didn't happen to me.

I think people get confused easily with this one.
There are laws in most countries to allow for defamation / libel some call it.
There's no point having another law when one exists to help this issue.

fschmidt
04-06-2019, 02:17 AM
I'm at work and hard to chat much.

Of course I'd prefer if it didn't happen to me.

I think people get confused easily with this one.
There are laws in most countries to allow for defamation / libel some call it.
There's no point having another law when one exists to help this issue.
You miss my point which is that blasphemy is just defamation of religion and should be handled in the same way.

fschmidt
04-06-2019, 02:32 AM
These videos explain Judaism's war on free speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_9k_yUUmC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUAWUwcNvPg

D'Artagnan
04-07-2019, 10:39 PM
You miss my point which is that blasphemy is just defamation of religion and should be handled in the same way.

meh, rubbish, go back to my point. If you feel defamed go to a court.
Otherwise for for example, I could start a lunatic religion today and claim someone said something horrid about the moon. As I howl to the moon in my new religion while I eat baked beans. Blasphemy is nothing to do with government.

Careful about hate speech on baked beans and the moon. Be warned .. haha

D'Artagnan
04-07-2019, 10:41 PM

btw, as said before, I think the suntan of brunei is looking for loonies. I can give you his phone number .. it's 1800 SHARIA
:p